I am honored and delighted that Marina Sophia of findingtimetowrite has nominated me for a Versatile Blogger Award. I just recently found Marina’s blog and fell in love with her post on losing a treasured poetry notebook. She also has a graceful, fluid set of haikus that captures the essence of each month of the year. Thank you, Marina.
There’s two parts to the Versatile Blogger award. First, I share 7 truths about myself. I decided to follow Marina and list my 7 paths towards inspiration. Of course, since I’m a bit flighty, quirky, and concussed, the list changes daily, but that just adds to all the fun:
Today’s 7 Paths to Inspiration:
1) My children ~ because they are startling, inventive, sassy, patience-stretching, and creative. Plus, they make me take time-outs from the preoccupations that swirl inside my head. They get me to actually see the world. Always a helpful skill for any supposed writer.
2) The ocean ~ because of the tides, the sea birds, and the air. We are vacationing on the coast of Maine right now, and I never want to leave.
3) Reading ~ because I love to be stunned and amazed by strange and honest characters, plot twists, and an elegance of language. Reading has always been my home inside of time.
4) Walking ~ because it makes me pay attention to what’s outside my head. Plus, stories often seem to flutter from the trees or sprout from the grass.
5) Travel ~ because seeing new places catches my imagination and sends it spinning. I have a notoriously bad memory (true even before the concussion made it worse) but I remember images of Florence, Ireland, the Smoky Mountains, and Maine as if they were photographs inscribed onto my neural net.
6) Dogs ~ because they are goofy, slap-happy, and they live in the moment. These are skills I lack, so dogs inspire me to be a little better than myself.
7) Questions ~ because they draw me to new people, places, and ideas. I love to chat with strangers. They probably think I’m weird. I’m always asking questions and collecting stories. Questions strike me as windows and doors, popping open where I least expect them to lead.
The second part of the award is to list 15 bloggers I admire. I hope you’ll check them out. If they have the time and inclination, I hope they’ll add to the simmering soup and share what inspires them as well.
15 Blogs That Keep Me Reading:
1) Lindsey Mead, A Design So Vast ~ for the inspiration of honesty, truth, and courage
2) Maria Popova, Brain Pickings ~ for the inspiration of history, science, and quirky truths
3) Tawna Fenske, Don’t Pet Me, I’m Writing ~ for the inspiration of pee-your-pants humor
4) Elizabeth Grant Thomas ~ for the inspiration of questions, cycles, and labyrinths
5) Erin Morgenstern ~ for the inspiration of her “flax-golden tales”
6) Patricia Caspers, Fish Head Soup ~ for the inspiration of the perfect word, the perfect critique, coffee breaks and friendship
7) Brenda Gottsabend, How To Feather An Empty Nest ~ for the inspiration of stunning photographs, clear vision, and the pictures that lead me to my fables
8) Natalia Sylvester, Finding Truth Through Fiction ~ for the inspiration of really seeing where you are and using that knowledge in your writing
9) Nina Badzin, Writing, Parenting & More ~ for the inspiration of embracing writing, reading, children, and marriage and juggling them all with superior grace and humor (plus, she let me be a guest blogger!)
10) Melissa Gorzelanczyk, Peace & Projects ~ for the inspiration of simplicity and grounding
11) Julia Munroe Martin, wordsxo ~ for the inspiration of Maine, birds, gardens, eavesdropping, kitchen-table writing, parenting . . . ah, the list goes on
12) Rabia Gale, Writer at Play ~ for the inspiration of fairy tales, magic, and boundless imagination
13) Writer Unboxed ~ for the inspiration of experience, craft advice, and multiple pathways
14) Kathryn Dyche Dechairo, Listening to the Whispers ~ for the inspiration of beautiful artwork, nature, and puppy Ravyn
15) Yuvi Zalkow ~ for the inspiration of “Failed Writer” videos, incomparable self-honesty, and pantslessness
Thanks again Marina! What fun to travel the twists of inspiration, from dogs and sea tides to my favorite bloggity bloggers.
What inspires you? Please share your favorite brain waves in the comments below.